I just finished a commission for a Grandmother Fairy and her grandbaby. Commissions always are hard for me because I am not sure I am doing what is expected....but, I have a wonderful collector who requested it and seems very pleased. ....thank you Judy M.
The first thing I did was make them a base decorated with mosic tiles, apoxie clay and polymer clay. I had purchased some new paints from Christi Friesen which were wonderful to work with...a whole new experience of making clay look like it was metal and rusty...must do more with these later.
This Fairy is a 10" sculpt of puppen fimo with arms that can be posed. Initially I sculpted the arms and was not pleased, soooo I broke the arms at the shoulder down to about an inch about the wrist and then wrapped the wire with strips of batting and gauze...now I could pose the arms better and they were strong enough to hold the tiny baby fairy.
I started out by hand dying fabric dark green...oh my goodness, these figures let you know when something is not right...it just was not working. So, I went with the softer greens and she and I were both pleased. Her hair which is dyed mohair was styled in many different ways, but the final style with a touch of grey seemed to work. Now it all was coming together and she was very happy. But there was the problem with the wings; the first set seemed to over power her, so I had to make a second set which fit much better.
Since I have started crocheting, I decided to crochet the baby a cap and then wrapped her in gauze with feathers for her baby wings and placed her in her Grandmother's arms...we were all very happy with the final results...